Site Navigation

Thread: New TRD Sport
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM

aggrobot will become famous soon enough

aggrobot will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge77 View Post
Maybe to help clear the air. I think the most accurate way to refer to the Limited 4WD system rather than just saying center diff or transfer case is to say it’s a transfer case with a center diff. The center diff is what allows for full-time 4WD because it allows for a “difference” between front and back. But it most certainly contains a transfer case which happens to also contain the diff.

I think the biggest issue jp.vegas had was in your original post you said, “Limited doesnt have a two speed transfer case, you just lock the center differential to engage 4lo.” Whether that reads the way you meant it or not, it reads incorrectly. It does have a two speed transfer case. It has 4hi and 4low. True, locking the diff allows for it to be in true 4WD mode by locking the front and back together, but there are two speeds.

Now, back on topic, I think the TRD Sport may have the Limited 4WD system. Car and Drivers article on it clearly reads that way. Until we get more from Toyota, I don’t think we’ll be sure. Unless I missed a pic somewhere showing the transfer case knob?

yup, i misspoke there and JP and you are both correct. my bad, and thanks for the patient answer. I understand that the center diff is what allows for full-time AWD on the limited. Its also my understanding its the transfer case which allows for the power to be distributed to the rear while the front spins freely (on the other 4runners). so the way these two accomplish this, while very similar in outcome is quite different in execution. It is in fact the function of the transfer case to drive power to all 4 wheels, rather than the center diff, and that distinction is a big one in this context. that was my point. Where I also blew it, was being completely wrong about the limited not having a two-speed transfer case at all (4HI, 4LO), so again, thank you both.

regarding the question about the limiteds AWD/4WD system, here's where I got myself into trouble, so I'll drop this link here, and try to answer more correctly:

Toyota 4Runner TRD Sport Added to Lineup for 2022 Model Year - Toyota USA Newsroom

"TRD Sport is available in 2WD or part-time 4WD with a 2-speed transfer case. "

It looks like this new TRD sport features a part-time 4wd system (so that of the sr5, etc) with a two speed transfer case, rather than the limiteds full-time AWD system, with two speed transfer case.

Last edited by aggrobot; 06-04-2021 at 03:05 PM.
aggrobot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote