Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 10:18 PM

702_SR5 is on a distinguished road

702_SR5 is on a distinguished road
I traded my capable but troublesome JKU Rubi for the 4Runner I have now.

Definitely a big step down in capability. As I'm reminded every time I find myself with one or two wheels off the ground. But I was knowingly trading capability for a more refined vehicle and sterling reliability. Or so I thought...

Unfortunately, I'm one of the people with trouble getting their 4Runner wheels balanced, so the highway ride quality has often been lacking. Constant steering wheel shimmy at highway speed gets old after a few 10K miles. (Now it's okay most of the time, long story.) I've also had a few other problems with the 4Runner.

So my trade-off hasn't fully worked out as I'd hoped. Though most of its shop time has been at a tire shop, not the dealer. And it hasn't left me stranded in the boonies as happened twice with the Heep...

With trade-in values being so high, I recently went looking at JLU Rubis. During a test drive, I found it refreshing to not have steering wheel shimmy at highway speed, despite the offroad 33's. But the wandering steering at moderate speeds was disconcerting. Then there's the reduced interior space. And the big one, which is the still-terrible reliability of Jeeps. I wondered if I was crazy even considering buying another Jeep, after all the problems with my first one.

Also, I again ran smack-dab into the dealers and their crappy practices. Including piling on over-priced crap (cough-KARR Alarm-cough). A local dealer has an inbound Rubi that is set up just as I'd like it: stripped down, except for auto trans and hardtop. But they won't sell it to me without that stupid aftermarket alarm and the overpriced wax job.

Speaking of quality, I gather from the JL forum that fuses and relays not seated properly in the block have been a problem for years. To the point that it's recommended if you buy a Wrangler, you should check all of them ASAP and make sure they're seated properly. If they're not, all sorts of weird issues can crop up. How can something like that be a problem for years?!

So, as much as I'd like to get back into something more capable, I doubt I'll be taking a plunge on a new Rubi.

Note the only engine options now for the Rubi with an auto trans are the 2L turbo and the diesel. The latter is a $4500 option.
702_SR5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote