Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 10:41 AM

bring_it_on will become famous soon enough bring_it_on will become famous soon enough

bring_it_on will become famous soon enough bring_it_on will become famous soon enough
My 2 cents: If you want the most capable stock off-roader you can get from a production vehicle, then the JL Rubicon is going to be the one that most closely meets your need. But requirements are rarely just singular, and I'd imagine if on was interested in heavy off-road usage then they wouldn't just be shopping around for a TRD-Pro 4Runner but getting something more basic (SR5 or OR) and customizing it to their liking/use-case. You can go basic OR and front lock it, re-gear it, add a long travel suspension, beef up the IFS, add a huge aux fuel tank, and lift to fit 33-35" tires depending on your flavor. But as others have pointed out, if majority of your use case is wheeling then you are probably better off getting something used and going to work on the customizations.

At the end of the day, its about trading pros and cons and seeing what fits your needs. The 4runner has reliability, is relatively simple to work on, has the size, payload and offers good on-road manners. Compared to a Rubicon, you are basically trading 20% of the off-road capability (for the average 4x4 user hitting trails or doing light-med. wheeling) get all of that so depending on one's use case they may not matter or they are all that matter. On the Rubicon, you have a smaller vehicle, Solid front axle, easier to build out, and better OR features stock. For these, you are trading away size, internal volume for passengers and storage, on-road performance and reliability. None of the Jeep drivers in my family or friends mind that at all - they are comfortable with what they are getting into and know it upfront.

My only problem with JL-Rubicon is the prices with all the added stuff. I paid $34K for my 2019 Off Road and the value there is incredible. No one had a gazillion options that they wanted to tag along. It was a stock OR and with basic 4x4 features that come with the type and a blank canvas for me to build on to suite my needs. When I factor in all the crap most dealers around me offer on the JL Rubicon, I see sticker price in the $55-$65K range. If I were to ever get a Jeep, it would be a two door and used and would basically be a play rig and not a daily. My 4Runner with 33" AT's, a roof rack, and added weight isn't as good as stock when driving on the pavement, but it is still a light years ahead of my brother's Jeep when it comes to noise and comfort on road. I can't live with that, and I don't go tear it up on a trail every weekend so the decision was relatively easy for me. Both are going to be extremely fun. As always, know what you are getting and get it for the right reasons.
2019 TRD Off Road| 285x70xR17 Falken WP AT3W| Dobinson C59-314/GS59-700 & C59-505/GS59-701| Total Chaos UCA| RCI front skid plate (steel)| C4 Fab. Low Pro. Bumper| Extreme LED Light Bar (bumper)| Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog Lights (Amber)| Bud Built Ultimate Rock Sliders| Front Runner slimline II full-size Roof Rack with Wind Fairing| C4 Fab Summit Hatch Ladder| ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor| Xenon Depot HID Low Beam Head Lights|Renogy-20 Amp DC-DC Charger|Battle Born LiFePO4 Auxiliary Battery| Goose Gear rear drawer system (8")|National Luna 52L Legacy Fridge/Freezer| Alu-Cab tilting fridge slide (Small/Medium)| ROAM Adventure 8' Awning

Last edited by bring_it_on; 06-06-2021 at 11:28 AM.
bring_it_on is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote