Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 06:55 PM

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold

Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold Humble Leader is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoraway View Post
I go back and forth on it. As far as all the tools, you might be right, though I've watched several videos of people taking off the valve covers, and some of those bolts look pretty difficult if not impossible to get to without extenders, and my basic socket set has one. I think honestly what I am more nervous about is the multitude of things, including the upper and lower plenum, wiring harness, etc etc that have to be taken off to reach both gasket covers.

Again, I just don't know if it is all worth it (either paying someone or me changing them) for the tiny amount of oil it's leaking.

One opinion (from another 4Runner owner) is that it is worth all of it, even though it is a small amount of oil, because of where the cam plugs are/where the oil is leaking, they need to be changed and resealed, because at highway speeds the camshaft is not properly lubricated.
I would agree with the 4runner owner that said it is all worth it. I just replaced valve cover gaskets, washers, spark plug o rings, cam shaft plugs etc. the valve cover gaskets are not a particularly difficult job but attention to detail is critical. the cam shaft might be harder. I had the dealer do it for me, I didn't feel comfortable nor had the time to leisurely go about the job since this is my daily driver and it needs to be operational. I'm glad I replaced everything at once. the throttle body etc. was cleaned on it's own not too long ago, might as well do that too while everything is apart. if you want to keep your truck for a while longer do the work or have a good shop do it for you