View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 10:22 AM

Nalcyon will become famous soon enough

Nalcyon will become famous soon enough
.02 cents....

It is all about perspective. I know it is just text on a forum page but to read some of these posts you would think that if you drive a Wrangler on a highway you will get out of the car with a chapped butt and bent back, screaming at the world.

I drove an 08 Wrangler 2 door with 6spd manual, 4.88 gears with detroit lockers, 32" MT's, vinyl seats, manual windows, manual locks, no carpet, and back seat removed... It was fine. The only time It was not awesome was in August in East Texas humidity, you would stick to the vinyl seats. Vinyl's no longer an option anyways.

Reliability... sample of 1, but I wheeled the dog out of that jeep for 90k miles, rocks, deep mud, you name it. The only issue I had was when I physically clogged the radiator fan with thick mud, causing overheating. Cleaned up the radiator area and it went back to business. (I've also had horrible reliability issues with a 2014 KL trailhawk fwiw).

When I bought my 4runner the jeep was strongly considered and on paper had the better equipment for my taste but my problem was the price. When I bought my 08 I paid 18k out the door, (before gearing, lockers etc). Now the base jeeps are about as much as a 4runner. I would have preferred a Rubi six speed so I would have to do 0 modifications but couldn't justify spending 10-15k over the price of a 4runner to do it.

They sell like hotcakes but jeep has priced itself out of me caring anymore.

Something else to think about, depending on your preferred trails a vehicle with too much capability, (it Rubicon), can actually take the fun out if because there is no challenge. After the above mentioned gears, lockers, and MT's on the jeep, it was actually less fun offroad because I actually had to look for trouble to find something challenging as the normal trails and obstacles were too easy. Something else to consider.

Last edited by Nalcyon; 06-07-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Nalcyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote