Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 12:35 AM

Jubsz is on a distinguished road

Jubsz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbot View Post
I'd offer him $5000 and that's pushing it greatly for an 02 Limited, especially one with an original rad at 200k which has turned brown god knows how long ago (good indication it will fail shortly.)
01-02 has the weakest trans, proprietary parts (master cylinder, throttle, IAC/TB, LBJs, driveline, etc.), finickiest transfer case, 02 had an LBJ recall, addition of VSC/Trac, seems like gremlins are common with the digital climate control, so forth. To me it seems like the whole shift to electronic parts caused much more problems than good for most people, as they very typically do.
On that note, I could've sworn the master cylinder and brake booster were on the passenger side starting in 01, and it almost looks like they've relocated it to the drivers side? Wonder what that's about.
I think this is a little harsh but not really wrong. It looks super clean at least. Radiator is easy but you did say top of your price range. I've heard the weak transmission stuff/abs, etc. for 01-02s. I don't think there's evidence of a large portion of them failing but they do seem to fail more frequently than the earlier models. I had an 01 years back and hated the VSC/Trac system. It's useless and a total PITA that adds electronics where they are not helpful. It's integrated into the braking system and is expensive to replace should it go bad. The VSC/Trac is not worth having but I think ABS goes with it. Double check me here, but I'm pretty sure that's true and it's like $3k for the stupid special braking system.

99-00's are the sweet spot. All limited climate controls break unfortunately. mine currently is and I really need to either fix it or buy a fixed version on ebay. I like the look of it if it works right. My AC also doesn't work anyways. On that note, AC needing to be recharged is usually a short term fix. They do not "use up" the refrigerant as far as I know. If it's gone, it's because it leaked out.

Does it have aftermarket lockers? 01-02s did not come from the factory with any lockers. The button on the left of the steering column locks the center differential for 4WD. Front and rear diffs remain open diffs and spin the easiest wheel. 4WD button on the transfer case is for AWD, AKA all 4 wheels with an open center diff.

I'm in rust country so I look longingly at one with that clean of an engine bay/body/undercarriage. However, if it's at the top of your budget and you don't NEED to buy one now, 99-00 are preferred. I'd rather a clean, rust free 01-02 than a rusty 99-00. You'll also need to budget in maintenance items. These things are robust and durable but they're old.

Last edited by Jubsz; 06-11-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Jubsz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote