View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 PM

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendInTheCavalry View Post
Ive never really thought of it like that, all very good points!

If I have the Pro Bilsteins (+1" over standard 4Runner) Will the BP51 net me +2" more than what I have now?

I am also kind of wondering if I should consider a simple Billy 5100 setup. The beauty of that is, when they crap out they are affordable enough to just replace them..

Its a hard choice.. there is a reason the "overland" market is booming... sadly I admit, I am really turned on by the 3" lift w/remote rezies, and 285s.. just like a jeep on 35s.. "everyone is doing it"

At the same time, I am pretty set on 255/75 tire..
If you are +1" now, you will get to +2.5" or +3" total with the BP 51.

I call +1 the actual normal height for the 4R. I think it is lowered for the US vs the Prado platform. The CVs are reverse angled at the stock height and perfect at just under 1". So anything from 0 to 2" of lift is good. I think this is also why +3" is not a big problem for the CVs. Because I think it is really +2.

The one issue is wheel travel, very debated on this forum. See, most people don't believe that you get +1" from the Bilstein Pro and the 6112 but you surely do, just as Toyota said in ads. No need for aftermarket UCAs to get it. It is there, just underdone with the stock front. But I don't know how non-Bilstein fronts handle that. So to do it right for offroading at +3", you have to spend a lot of time and money, UCA and all. To do it right at +2", you need nothing but new coilovers. So lots of pain for half an inch of clearance!

Now, the 5100 series is very cheap. I guess it should handle pretty well on the road and will do any rock crawling and regular forest roads just fine. But once you start really using it, like driving faster over rough forest roads with embedded rock, it will not do well. It will get harsh and won't last very long, I bet. In the desert, that much less.

Also, be careful with rear shocks. Many are advertised with a big range which makes no sense. They should be advertised for 1.5" of difference, like 0-1.5 or 1.5-3 or 2-3 or 0-1. The Icon 2.0 advertised for 1-3 should really only be 2-3. And so on. It matters a great deal where the piston is at rest.

If the rig's offroad exploits are mild in length, roughness, OR speed (choose 2 but not all 3 with lower-end setups) then the 5100 may be all that is needed. Speed as low as 20 mph can be far too much for small shocks under the right conditions.
(6112s/650lb at 2.25" lift, 8100 rear with Bilstein B12 1.5" springs, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LTE 265 70 17, RCI set of front 3/16 skids, Shrockworks step sliders and 3/16 steel gas tank skid, C4Fab rear diff skid, Rockmen rear LCAs, Total Chaos rear LCA bracket skids, Diode Dynamics SS3 white fog lights).

Last edited by MAST4R; 06-13-2021 at 11:03 PM.
MAST4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote