Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 02:48 AM

TravThePro is on a distinguished road

TravThePro is on a distinguished road
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High

After waiting on backorder for roughly 6 months, and being entirely certain that I was scammed out of $700, I finally found my Icon FJ80 suspension at the foot of my door. Coincidentally, this was right in the middle of rebuilding the nightmare sitting between the firewall and bumper. In addition to the 5VZ rebuild and lazily procrastinating all of my projects (College back in session with full-time work), a year's worth of dust had piled on all of my new suspension parts. Why is it so easy to find an excuse to put this crap off?

The rust bucket 3rd gen had seen a long 15+ years of neglect and offroad abuse, so every single suspension project only took a measly 3-5x longer than it should have. Luckily, I will never have to deal with rust welded sleeves, seized ball joints, ripped off sway bar brackets, broken off bolts, rust seized bolts, or anything similar with it ever again! Dealing with anything beyond basic surface rust/neglect on one of these will be far more expensive in the long run than buying one that has been maintained properly. Please be smart and listen to all of the people on here who have already been through this hell!

Does anyone know what shocks/springs these might have been? I cannot find a reliable source to what these shocks came from and I was told these were 4" Rear lift springs when I bought the vehicle 6 years ago.

Rear Shocks
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring5-jpg

Rear Spring Compared to the front FJ80 Icon lift Spring
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring1-jpg
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring2-jpg
These "4-inch lift springs" had sagged to the point where they would fall completely off of the vehicle if I even thought about going past 9 inches of travel. On the contrary, these Icon springs are so tall that they wouldn't fall off even if I wanted them to. I actually had to install them in a fairly dangerous way combining a spring compressor with a fully lifted body. Please be safe and DO NOT try that at home.

Old rear shock compared to the FJ80 Icon Rear lift shocks
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring4-jpg

Previous Rear Height
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring0-jpg
Current Hunk of Junk Height
Lifting the Hunk of Junk too High-spring-3-jpg

Bonus Video

Last edited by TravThePro; 06-14-2021 at 02:53 AM.
TravThePro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote