View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 PM

SoCalHeadhunter is on a distinguished road

SoCalHeadhunter is on a distinguished road
I'm also planning on getting a 3rd gen to replace a Suby, but my Suby is a 2015 Crosstrek.

I originally expected to use the Crosstrek for some off-highway stuff, but never felt comfortable with not having decent recovery points. So, instead of spending the money on beefing it up, I just used it as a daily driver. It just felt like it would be a waste of money on a vehicle with a unibody that would never do what I wanted to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Suby. It's been a great reliable car and good for road trips that didn't involve anything beyond easy dirt roads. If it didn't have a CVT transmission, I probably would have pushed it a little more and would be keeping it for decades. I just don't want to own it when the CVT needs to be replaced in another 30 - 50K miles. There's nothing wrong with the CVT now, but I've read about too many of them going bad and they are a spendy item to deal with.

I've had the Suby on a few forest roads, but left any trail that I would call moderate or above for my built '85 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler.

The 4Runner will be what I always hoped the Crosstrek would have been. After I find the 4Runner, I'll sell the Suby and get another daily driver.

Even though I just joined and am also new here, welcome to the forum!

Christian
SoCalHeadhunter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote