Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:30 PM

stonewall55 is on a distinguished road

stonewall55 is on a distinguished road
Installed the 10" 8600NEX this past weekend. Definitely want to use OEM metal brackets because the plastic Metra brackets will not hold it in place. Was able to do so, and use the screws supplied w/the radio and the plastic metra brackets, w/out drilling new holes.

CAR A/V Assist App is trash, but I was prepared for that.

Had screen flicker at first, which resolved after a firmware update. Wireless carplay is nice, but I do get frequent, brief "skips" in audio. From what I can tell, this is not unique to this unit, it's a problem with wireless carplay in general. Haven't tried to connect through wire to see for myself but I hear this resolves any skipping issues.

On that note, the unit comes equipped with USB-C cable, but no convenient way to wire this into your existing 4runner ports. My old USB/Aux port is now dead. If someone has an easy way to convert this into a new port for the USB-C cable, I'd love to hear it. (I don't have a 3d printer or C&C so something relatively easy DIY, or off-the-shelf would be perfect)

Overall audio quality is significantly improved. I didn't realize just swapping the head unit could be so impactful on the sound volume and clarity, but it is.

Loss of GPS and Sirius - I never used Sirius, so I can't speak on losing the functionality. I tried using the old GPS once and it was so bad I decided waiting to get into cell reception was the better route. That said, I wish it included GPS just as a fallback.

Rearview camera - it looks like ass on the new screen. If anyone is aware of a way to upgrade the rearview without too much hassle, I'm all ears.

Overall, it's a gorgeous addition and it looks very clean and OEM. Will report back after a few weeks to let you all know if I encounter any more issues.

Last edited by stonewall55; 06-21-2021 at 04:06 PM.
stonewall55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote