Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Catch up
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96RedRunner View Post
Don't know if TtT (Timmy the Toolman) productions has vid on this would be a good one.
Job not for faint of heart, doesn't come around very often. One I know of 98 260k mi leaks not drips idling in park,
My 01 & 96 595k mi no leaking main glad I've been lucky one for a change.
Yep, we have two video series that would help someone to replace a rear main seal, one is our auto trans swap and the other is our clutch replacement. At the beginning of Part 2 for the clutch replacement, we do replace the rear main seal. In our auto trans swap video series, we unbolt the transfer case from the transmission because we're replacing the trans. If you were just pulling the trans to get access to the rear main seal, you could obviously leave the two attached.

Like others have said, the bulk of the work is just getting to the rear main seal and that's getting the trans out of the way. We did struggle a bit with the seal removal but it wasn't that bad. But, if I suspected a rear main seal leak, it would have to be pretty damn bad for me to do all that labor to get in there. If it's not leaking bad, deal with the mess and add oil when you have to and forget about it. If somebody has OCD and the leak will keep them up at night, I guess they'll be pulling their trans.

Last edited by mtbtim; 06-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote