Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 03:41 PM

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
New Axles and LCA's!!!
Finally got all the parts in to replace Axles and LCA's. No rain in the forecast... started working and it started downpouring, but I was determined.

AxlesReturn to Directory
Both of my boots were torn upon inspection. I followed Y=mx+b tutorial for axles and borrowed a fork from a friend to separate the axles from differential. Stripped the Drain plug so I stuck a pump in the fill hole and got as much fluid out as possible and filled a quart back up. I noticed driver side did not have a seal where it connected to the differential and it was not leaking either. The passenger was replaced a long time ago and did have a seal... very interesting. Got the Axles from cvjreman

New LCA'sReturn to Directory
The LCA's were the easiest part of all of this. The driver side was the side with minimum rust and the sleeve wasn't seized in the LCA so I was very happy... Again another discrepancy I noticed is that the passenger side, the side with more rust and a seized sleeve, had a different bolt for the front mount. I know that LCA was never replaced nor the hardware, I thought it was very interesting.. The seized LCA did not stand a chance against me and my Sawzall

My dad snagged a photo of me hard at work, you can tell i just wanted this to be over

Final Result/AdviceReturn to Directory

I have never done anything this in depth with a vehicle, and I do not have a lift or anything special. I took my time, and it was worth it in the end. Took me about 8-10 hours... I lost count. Also had to buy a new jack, borrow a torque wrench, and a axle fork. The work speaks for itself. I really believe anyone with determination and time can get this done by themselves... I did. It really wasn't as hard as people made it out to be, plus the lessons learned will help me for a lifetime. And I got to take an angle grinder and Sawzall to my vehicle which was a bit of fun.

Projects Coming upReturn to Directory
- Bought some LED strips I'm going to wire into the door lights for under driver and passenger footwell.
- Also got the later model instrument cluster coming in within the next week, going to see if its possible to use on the 03-05 model 4Runners.
- Getting a front bumper soon to protect all my precious parts.. still cannot decide on one hoop or 3 hoops or brand... I'll figure it out eventually... oh yea and color. Black, Textured Black, Grey, or White. I don't want Black because everyone gets it. Leaning towards White on white with my truck or paint the Grey gunmetal grey to match my hood scoop, wheels, and grille.
- Possible Exhaust cam gears coming up
- Unrelated to my T4R, been trying to organize all of my tools in my tool chest

I think that's all for now, will update in a week or two on the updated instrument cluster and maybe more projects, Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

Last edited by chrisbagnell; 08-22-2021 at 07:58 PM.
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote