Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 03:25 PM

Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all

Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfasch View Post
What are the other Suspension components I should be replacing with 330,000 original miles on the vehicle? I’m looking to get 3+ more years out of it as my last son starts driver’s training this month. And in what order from easiest to hardest should I replace components - as I want to do as much as I can myself? Suspension work is completely new to me. I’m guessing rear shocks may be next.
Bushings are part of "suspension" and unless you have completely Blown shocks, will likely make a bigger difference in ride quality. I don't think any of the suspension was "hard", merely annoying. Top nut on the rear dampers is a royal PITA, expect busted knuckles and a fair bit of grumbling. The front struts are only a pain IF you're assembling them from components (putting the springs on the dampers) ~ but you can easily have a shop do that for you and just swap them yourself. The bushings (various control arms) are a little more trouble sinply because you have to disassemble more and use a press to remove and install the replacements (or buy brand new, which come with bushings installed and is cheaper than having a shop do the work).

Hopefully you know of the problem with the lower ball joints on these vehicles and have been on top of that, else do those *FIRST*. Like, now, before anything else. Very simple task. Oh, these fail due to poor engineering and the wheel falls off... just in case you Didn't know. Radiators are known failure points too, can easily kill a transmission... safer to mention than to assume you know.

Look through the videos that Tim and Sean have made (one of the sticky threads are the top of the forum) for doing the suspension stuff (and ball joints, and radiator... might be others you see and want to tackle too)..