Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 05:27 PM

jimmy-buffett is on a distinguished road

jimmy-buffett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin2decide View Post
Plenty of competitors have the side opening door.....I want the rear “awning”...lol

That read door keeps 4Runner unique, and aren’t there several mods out there to mount the spare on the trailer hitch?
There are also swing-out rear bumpers which will hold a spare tire, none of them work as well as the FJ swing-out bumpers that attach to the door but that's simply a difference in how the door works. This is definitely a personal preference item, the rear door as an awning is only big enough for ~2 people anyway so the aftermarket solutions are better. Maybe Toyota will resell the ARB awning with custom mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin2decide View Post
Would a hybrid solve the issues you had with power/altitude?
When the battery is charged, absolutely. I do worry about the battery on water crossings, it will be another thing we have to armor on the trails. And I'm not sure how quickly it would charge on a trail where I'm driving uphill for ~3 hours. A 3.5L V6 is the most likely powertrain that I think we'll get, hopefully Toyota figures out how to make it compatible with what many of us use the 4Runner for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
My opinion. The roll down rear window is clutch. if they can put it in an ambulance door then fine but don't get rid of it just so you can mount a tire to the hatch door when you can put it on any rear bumper.
Didn't the old GXs have a rear door spare option? I thought I had seen that before.
FWIW I have a 33 in the stock tire space. the downside is that it does worsen your departure angle.
Agreed on the rear window, I like it and if we can get it in a side-opening door that's fine with me. I'm not aware of a GX with a spare on the door. I know the fitment on the 33 underneath is pretty tight, and having it scrape on departure angle isn't great for tire life anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
I don't see how the KDSS is an issue. It's not a required feature. Just buy without it if you do more aggressive off-roading. You probably don't need it anyway when you have the higher end suspensions like King and your BP-51s.
Agreed that it's an option that we don't have to buy, but they're putting it on the 200/300/GX/LX standard, it's only an option on the 4Runner. I didn't choose it on mine because of the poor implementation -- both lines running under the frame right where you'd drop off an obstacle, and woefully under-armored -- but with a good implementation, through / over the frame? Better on-road handling and sway disconnects in 4L? I'm not against the technology, just the implementation of it on the 5th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biratley View Post
Lots of great info you gave them . I would hate a side opening door unless the window still rolled down.
The FJ had a side opening door, the glass could open but not automatically. Some people made power opening kits for the FJ, here's hoping Toyota figures out how to do both at a price point they can accept.

FJ Cruiser Buy/Sell Guide - FJCruiserForums
jimmy-buffett is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote