Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 05:16 AM

heatmyzer9 is on a distinguished road

heatmyzer9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudeprived View Post
I would love to get that kind of mileage. I have to fill up by 240 miles or it runs dry.

My gauge has been in full retard mode the past month or so, dropping to E and flashing when it feels like it. I had it in for inspection two years ago and the mechanic said it was the gauge when I asked about it. At that time it was just reading Full to Half. He offered to fix it but I declined and just followed the miles.
I have a 99, SR-5 and had the same thing happen twice. Startup, gauge on full, wait couple of seconds, gauge crashes to below empty, gas warning light starts to blink. Argggh.
I saw an old post that showed a burned out component on a board on their cluster that was blinking the gas light. The component is on the board behind the small white cover on the back of the cluster. Just unscrew the screws, take of the cover, unscrew the small circuit board and disconnect the ribbons and one small wiring connector on that small board. Behind the small board (on the main board) is an inductor labeled “L9”. Since it literally failed and smoked for the guy in the old post…..I decided to check continuity across that component. It had no continuity and had failed (no physical signs of failure though). One side of L9 leads directly to a pin on one of the cluster’s connectors. So I soldered in a 1 ohm resistor (didn’t have any inductors) bridging out the bad “L9” inductor. It worked fine after that.
I think that component pulls higher current when the resistance of the gas float drops/or the sender goes bad. I changed out a fuel pump and it even smoked the new resistors…did the repair again and no issues. For some reason when the gauge starts acting up, that component fails due to high current.
Attached Images
3rd gen gas gauge issue-6fced23a-9232-4a4a-8a5f-a123d72c9e63-jpeg 

Last edited by heatmyzer9; 07-02-2021 at 05:25 AM.
heatmyzer9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote