Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 AM

alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough

alia176 will become famous soon enough alia176 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlithepirate View Post
I did!

Like so many of the things on this vehicle, how hard it is is going to majorly depend on how rusty your vehicle is, and v8 vs v6. Mine was a v8.

I got my rack from rackdoctor. They were running behind, but knock on wood it seems like a solid refurb option. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new OEM unit too. Also, plan to replace the lower intermediate steering shaft and out tie rod ends while your at it. That's another 100$ in parts and they all need to come off the car anyway.

In terms of getting the bad boy out, removal is easier if you take off the drivers side inner tie rod. If you have the v8, you will be able to finagle the mounting bolts out without removing anything else. If you have a v6, you will need to either cut the old mounting bolts off or unbolt the AC compressor to get those bolts out.

For the v8, draining the oil and removing the oil filter is a must. When I went to my new rack in, I also had to disconnect the oil filter housing mount, and a coolant line to get it in there. This was because I didn't have a clamp to stabilize the new rack so I could get the drivers side inner tie rod off. By removing the oil filter mount and the coolant line, I had just enough space to get the new rack in.

In terms of difficulty, if its not rusty I'd put it as a little more difficult than a suspension swap. Its significantly easier than something like a timing belt, but there is lots of finagling to get things in place.

If you have questions feel free to ping me.
Great info, thanks for replying. I did see some of the things you mentioned like removing the inner tie rod, oil filter housing, etc from the video I mentioned.

I'm torn between a brand new rack from Toyota at a cost of $659 or a reman unit from Rack doctor or CVJ. I only want to do this project once and the OEM unit lasted 370k.

44200-60100 - Steering Gear - 2003-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser | Conicelli Toyota of Conshohock
alia176 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote