Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 PM

Flesh Eater will become famous soon enough

Flesh Eater will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAST4R View Post
It is a predicament indeed.

Bear in mind that Icon IFP rear shocks have a very long body. On 1" rear lift, they rubbed on the emergency brake cables (through the cover and to the steel). On the positive side, they gave me 1" extra travel on 1" lift spring (not true of other rear shocks). That extra travel was most welcome on Black Bear Pass last year. This year I had my 8100 series Bilstein for the trip. They have even more travel on the same spring plus many other virtues.

Stay safe in the San Juans. We just came back. Mineral Creek is the rockiest trail (P gulch aside, the one that I have not driven), Black Bear is the most dangerous, Imogene is easier than both but is a real 4x4 drive with some tippy spots and some rocks and Yankee Boy is easier than Imogene and is not exposed. The trails with extended very narrow sections are Black Bear, Imogene, Porphyry Gulch, Kendal Mountain, Red Mountain 3, McMillan Peak (also lots of backing up switchbacks on this one). Several other trails have shorter exposed and narrow sections, of course.

Suspension wise, for San Juans, I set my rear shocks at near max soft compression and above average rebound to maximize stability. I cannot adjust the front but I would do the same there if I could.

I surely would rather have less lift and more wheel travel for the San Juans than big lift with less travel. But above all, I would want a rig that is 100% and that will give me no surprises. So I fully agree with your efforts to get the rig to a predictable and drivable, safer state.

Hope you have a great and safe vacation regardless of these annoying troubles!
Thanks for the info. We will NOT be doing Black Bear pass and I’m still on the fence with Imogene. Once I get comfortable out there I will decide on Imogene.

I might see if the local alignment shop will work with me and let me get a twofer deal. I need the alignment first to settle my camber and toe issue and get a truer measurement. After that I need to drop the suspension to 21” or 21.5” measurement, then re-align it.

I really don’t want to go out there with stock height, but I also don’t want my Runner handling like pure garbage for 3,000 miles of non-stop interstate driving.

Ugh. This was supposed to be simple. Screw Murphy and his law.