View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 12:32 PM

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnRover View Post
I am now towing a TT and want to replace the original shocks that have 146k miles on them. I have no lift and not really planning on doing one. Do use air bags to level rear when towing. Since tongue weight and gear have added weight would the 4600 still be ok or do I need the 5100's? Get that the 5100 are for lifted vehicles but also have seen they are good for loaded down 4R's, too. Currently get some bounce when hitting dips and such on highways while towing that I hope will be reduced no matter which shock I get. Advice welcome.
There is NOTHING in Bilstein's description that justifies the claim that 5100 are more stiffly valved. Bilstein explicitly says it is a longer shock for lifted applications and that's it.

You will have zero benefit by going 5100 on a stock height and in fact it may be worse. If the body is longer, it may rub on the emergency brake lines. I used Icon 2.0 with 1" lift and it did that.

If you need to stiffen the rear, upgrade the springs. I think Dobinsons offers a stiffer spring that is stock height.
(6112s/650lb at 1.25"-1.5" lift, 8100 rear with Bilstein B12 1.5" springs, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LTE 265 70 17, RCI set of front 3/16 skids, Shrockworks step sliders and 3/16 steel gas tank skid, C4Fab rear diff skid, Rockmen rear LCAs, Total Chaos rear LCA bracket skids, Diode Dynamics SS3 white fog lights).
MAST4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote