Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 10:01 AM

Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute

Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisectrl View Post
First post as a long time lurker--and I have 2 questions:

1. I recently grabbed a set of four 5th gen 17" takeoffs for my 2000 Limited 4WD. I still have a stock 16" spare. I want to run 32s on the new wheels (265/70R17, specifically) but don't know what to do about the spare. If I were to run a 265/75R16 spare (which is the same 32" diameter, just on the smaller wheel), is there anything I need to worry about? Or do I need to scavenge for a 17" spare?
The size difference between spare tire and your new tires is negligible and will not affect the vehicle if you need to use the spare. But if you are really set on it you should be able to fit a 265/75R16 spare in the stock location without rubbing anything.

2. Lift question: currently have '99 tall springs which are alright, but I'm probably going to be adding some weight (front plate bumper, full roof rack, drawers in the back). I'm interested in the 2" variable rate lift springs from Dobinsons and probably 5100s but don't necessarily need 2" of lift. Can one run lift springs at lower than advertised ride height (say only 1" lift on a 2" spring)? And how does running an adjustable shock on a lower/the lowest perch affect ride quality? Would doing something like this wear those suspension components out prematurely?
There is no downside to running lower front suspension height from a wear/tear and ride comfort viewpoint. As a general rule the higher you lift the front the worse the ride quality gets. The only thing I am unsure of is if the Dobinson springs and Bilstein shocks will allow for the correct amount of adjustability and ride height. Not many people in the 3rd gen section have Dobinson suspension components let alone try to mix and match. It may be fine or it may be like using OME 883 springs with Bilstein shocks. (On the lowest setting of Bilstein shocks the OME 883 springs will net around 3 inches of lift.)
My thoughts/answers in bold.