View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 04:39 PM

rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all

rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all rageandlove is a name known to all
Hi - I did this recently with the same concerns (I'm a real worrier) and have a few pieces of advice.

1) Skip DD. Use VLEDS. The quality is better and the polarity doesn't matter like they do on DD. They also have a better choice of color temperature. Finally, you can get them on Amazon with free shipping and free returns if you decide to try another color.

2) Do the 9V battery. It's easy. Step 1 buy a 9V battery. Step 2 put one end of the VLEDS bulb on the negative terminal, tilt it sideways, and you will hit another spot on the bulb and it lights up. Easiest part of any of this.

3) Read this. Makes the door (hassle) easier.

This may start an "internet war" but I didn't remove the negative terminal. If the bulb is going to cause problems, it will happen as soon as electricity is applied, so it was far more important IMO to test the bulb before inserting.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Can someone confirm this for me please.

I want to replace the courtesy door lights with LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics. But after reading a few on these posts I'm all worried now. Just would like some confirmation on the guys that have done this before and if my method here will be a safe method.

1. disconnect negative terminal of battery

2. remove courtesy light housing from door panel for full access

3. remove incandescent bulb and replace with LED bulb

4. install courtesy light housing back in to door panel

5. connect negative terminal of battery

Is this method OK? I don't have a multimeter nor the motivation to buy one and read/learn how to understand it just to pop some new bulbs in right now. Too much other stuff going on currently. Also don't have any idea or motivation to figure how to hook one of these bulbs up to a 9v battery to test either. I'm not normally this consumed with other things but here we are. I'm just looking for some quick intel before buying these this morning.

Do these bulbs need to be installed a certain way regarding polarity? If I install them backwards will anything bad happen or will the light just not work? And if thats the case I would just disconnect the negative battery terminal, repeat the earlier procedure and flip the bulb 180 degrees?

thanks for reading my rambling post.
rageandlove is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote