Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 PM

Sp00ner will become famous soon enough Sp00ner will become famous soon enough

Sp00ner will become famous soon enough Sp00ner will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 View Post
Specifically what I mean is something, somehow needs to be present to keep that load going uphill without NECESSARILY downshifting. It can be done with a powerful enough engine (high compression or forced induction and a fuel that can withstand substantial timing advance). Lockup in the transmission in every gear helps, but I admit the enormous trade off is torque converter wear and the lockup clutch being cycled so much. Maybe Toyota discussed that and just said NO.

I have a good vehicle to compare it to, but it’s night and day, apples and elephants. My notoriously unreliable 2012 Range Rover full size, last of the square body L322 with a 510 HP / 463 TQ supercharged engine as stock, then upgraded pulley and tune (do with that what you will, VelocityAP cites 645 HP / 630 TQ after tune, but I completely understand if there are reasons to doubt that).

The Rover just pulls uphill in 6th around 1400 RPM at 50 MPH or so without downshifting. If I run the same stretches of highway in the 4Runner it just won’t do it without kicking down. I don’t know if a premium tune would be enough to keep the 4Runner in motion without hunting. Pedal commander can help driving dynamics on flat surfaces, but like you said when that engine load maxes out, and you have nowhere to go, it’s shifting! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, my Camaro was the same way, but as you said, it's apples to kumquats.

The 4Runner just doesn't have the capabilities to pull it off with 270hp and the aerodynamic profile of a bowling ball once you add gravity to the mix. The Camaro also got 33mpg at 85 mph while dynamically deactivating cylinders and an 8spd transmission, but I digress...

Going up from Denver to Breckenridge I had whole climbs being done in like 3rd gear at 4500 RPMs for pretty extended periods of time just to maintain 70mph, I literally laughed out loud more than a few times.
Pioneer 8500NEX
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote