Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 05:23 PM

ctyoter is on a distinguished road

ctyoter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Don't get suckered into the Lifetime Warranty that most chain stores provide. The Lifetime isn't your Lifetime, or the vehicles Lifetime, it's for as long as you own the vehicle. The US average is between 2 to 3 years. The calipers are assembled using the cheapest, low quality, parts they can find. Same goes for starters, alternators etc..... One of the biggest companies that rebuild these is about 30 min away and I know several that work there and the stories they tell are crazy. I learned this 20 years ago on my F150, I changed the alternator 6 times in one year all for the same reason. I got very good and fast at it and finally bought an OEM one that lasted years.

When it comes to brakes and suspension I always replace both sides, even if only one caliper is bad I always change both. This isn't a must but it's what I do. Stuck calipers can be avoided with some yearly maintenance, cleaning and lube. My 1 ton F350 dually uses a floating caliper, like the rear on the 4R, where it slides on pins. These pins need to be cleaned and re-lubed and the boots checked for cracks. On the fronts I remove the pads extend the pistons, clean and lube before compressing the pistons back into the caliper. I have also used a lube syringe that makes a small hole in the rubber boot and allows you to apply grease inside if needed and the hole pretty much seals itself when removed. I still apply some RTV over it. You can do the same for the CV axles. How often depends where you live, how much you drive and what type of driving you do. I do mine once a year and use the right grease and the right amount and I have never had a stuck caliper in 30 plus years.

If calipers are needed OEM are always the best if you can afford them. If not I have found that the higher end calipers that Napa sells to be the best aftermarket ones I have found. Not just for the 4Runner but for all vehicles that I have done brake jobs on, which is a lot!!!!! Proper maintenance is key for long life on calipers. Brakes are to important to me to be pinching pennies on and .25 cents worth of lube and an hour of my time is well worth knowing my brakes are going to work when I need them to the most. I hope this can help someone out. God Bless
NCH
yes, the constant replacement is not on my list of desirables. the cost savings isn't worth it. whatevefr I end up with I will do the piston lube and give myself the best chance for longevity possible. these winter road treatments up here are brutal.