View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 11:13 PM

Spriggs53 is on a distinguished road

Spriggs53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardrunner View Post
There should be a bushing in the tail shaft of the transmission. Kinda a pain but you could pull the driveshaft and have someone tow you up to speed and see if it's still there lol my guess would be either something in the rear diff. Or trans. Maybe try putting the rear in the air and spinning the rear tires and see if theres any noise from the 3rd member.
Certainly is an interesting method, but hey, if it works, right? I will be attempting that second method tomorrow after work, the FIL will be assisting the diagnosing. I’m down to try anything at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravThePro View Post
I have seen a similar issue in a different vehicle that was caused by a bad motor mount and a really bad transmission mount.
See if you're getting a lot of movement in the engine/trans when someone shifts between drive and reverse over and over. If you're seeing nothing, watch from the side while they hit the gas hard from a stop in both directions. This is also a great way to test if you're getting axle wrap/wheel hop.

Have you been testing for play in drivetrain parts in park or in neutral? sometimes you won't be able to tell that parts are bad while it is bound up in gear. Obviously use tire chocks before you go to test this, but that is what I would do to test it all if you haven't tried it before.

If nothing is showing up, buy a cheap action camera and mount it pointing at the drivetrain parts or rear axle. Drive at several different speeds to replicate the issue. When all else fails, this can be a great way to see what might be going on.
Would bad motor mounts do that though? I’ve had motor mounts go out on a FWD car before, I guess I could see some similarities but this feels different. I never thought about taking a recording, even in flow-mo to see everything happening. Good suggestion! I will give that a try tomorrow and doing some shaking on the shaft again in neutral. I’ve only done it in park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 View Post
The gear oil looked good when you changed it? I’m thinking a pinion or carrier bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was relatively new oil from the axle seal job, but there didn’t appear to be any abnormalities in this batch or the last; no metal shavings, no chunks of metal, seemed like relatively healthy juice. I noticed something new today that I never noticed before that has me thinking the diff. I noticed on my way to a friends how that going downhill when the grinding noise and vibrations would happening they were oscillating, almost like a bad diff whir, except I couldn’t hear the whir because of my muffler, if there was a whir. Something I’ll be thinking plenty about. The crazy thing to me is that this vehicle has seen practically 0 abuse whatsoever. The PO towed a load of furniture once or twice, I towed a fridge, I got stuck in mud twice, but thats about it, so it makes 0 sense to me why the diff or the trans would be going bad.
91’ Ford Festiva
Spriggs53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote