Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 09:40 PM

Midmo_Tundra is on a distinguished road

Midmo_Tundra is on a distinguished road
99 4Runner Engine Noise

Hey All, I’m looking at a 1999 4Runner with ~240k miles that has an engine noise. I haven’t seen it person, but I had the owner send me a video of the noise.

Trying to determine if it’s the flex plate, or one of the front drive accessories, or something else. I’ve researched it and watched YouTube videos but haven’t heard something that sounds like this. Once I go in person, crawling under it should easily tell if it’s the flex plate. But if it’s not the flex plate, what else could it be based on the noise? The vehicle is in park I believe in the video.

I’m wanting to buy it for an weekend offroad rig and I’d love to get a 3rd Gen back in the fleet.

Trying to determine if the noise is internal to the engine, a cracked flex plate, or some of the other components that can cause a rod knock like noise. I’m competent on DIY repairs, but I’m not at the skill level to tear down a engine and do a rebuild.

Any insight is appreciated
4Runner Engine Noise - YouTube

Last edited by Midmo_Tundra; 08-11-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Midmo_Tundra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote