Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 09:23 AM

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midmo_Tundra View Post
Hey All, I’m looking at a 1999 4Runner with ~240k miles that has an engine noise. I haven’t seen it person, but I had the owner send me a video of the noise.

Trying to determine if the noise is internal to the engine, a cracked flex plate, or some of the other components that can cause a rod knock like noise. I’m competent on DIY repairs, but I’m not at the skill level to tear down a engine and do a rebuild.

Any insight is appreciated
4Runner Engine Noise - YouTube
I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to fix it uppers, this one would be too much risk for me with that kind of noise. That could be a lot of things, including main bearings IMO.

if the price is right? If your willing to replace the flex plate I'm going to assume your cool with doing an engine replacement. decent salvage engines are still pretty easy to find. I would think depending on where you live? plan on about 1K - 1.5K$ and you should be able to put a good quality salvage engine in with new timing set, seals.

when starting a project like that I would just plan worst case, maybe it's not as bad as it sounds but seems like most of the time it's worse.
sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote