Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-14-2021, 10:28 AM

zguy1 has a spectacular aura about zguy1 has a spectacular aura about

zguy1 has a spectacular aura about zguy1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tironeous View Post
My sub blew so I decided to replace that. It’s nothing too crazy, but fits the factory location and sounds much better. I’m still using the factory amp.

Shortly after the install I realized just how poor the 15 year old JBL speakers sounded compared to the new sub. I decided to replace the fronts with 6.5” Focal components and the rears with 6.5” 2 way speakers. These speakers are highly efficient so I wasn’t worried about the ohm rating being different than factory. Unfortunately, I didn’t take pictures.

Next was the headunit. I wanted CarPlay and looked at a number of units. It seemed too costly to go for wireless CarPlay. My logic was if I’m using it for maps, I’d likely want my phone plugged in anyway to not drain the battery. Also, make sure you get a headunit with a capacitive touchscreen. This is the type of technology used for smartphone displays and not all headunits use this. I’ve always liked Sony products.

Lastly I added a new backup camera. The hardest part was snaking the wires through the tailgate. I eventually got this sorted and the quality it outstanding compared to the factory unit.

Nice install on the headunit. I went with a Pioneer unit with wireless CarPlay. I bought mine from Cruthfield too. I also bought a backup camera as well from them. In hindsight wireless CarPlay is nice but my phone is always plugged in and charging anyway so it's really not needed unless someone makes very short trips.

My unit came with both wireless and wired CaPlay plus Android auto. I ran the two USB connections (CarPlay and Android auto) into the glovebox and never use them since I always use wireless now.

A couple of questions...

1) Where did you run your wired connections to? Did you run them to those aftermarket plus on the center console?

2) I want to no longer use the cigarette lighter to charge my phone or my passengers phone and would like to use one of those USB adapters that fit the center console unused holes. There are so many on Amazon and its hard to tell any are good or how well they charge a newer phone.

Do you have a recommendation on which ones to use?

3) I am still using the stock speakers and have to admit it sounds pretty damn good for stock. I know you had a blown speaker but do you think that still wold be an improvement over the stock ones?

thanks!
zguy1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote