View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 PM

MountainBiker is on a distinguished road

MountainBiker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickashay View Post
For the 99-02’ I’m guessing you will need to ditch the plastic valence below the chrome portion of the bumper. That’s how it is setup with the current 96-98 style. I just have not seen a 99-02’ bumper with the plastic fully stripped away - anyone have any photos!?!? The mounting points for the 96-98 are VERY close to the same as the 99-02, so I think that should be an easy adaption to make on our end. The full Tamarack+ version will bolt into the same holes as the factory bumper.
I don't have photos, but as I own a fat lip '00 and my neighbor has a '97, I can offer some observations. First thing to point out is that the fat lip protrudes about 3" further forward from the grill compared to the '97. So removing the lower "plastic valence" is the least of the problem, as the 3" protrusion will be very noticeable with the Rickashay bumper from a cosmetic point of view.

Regarding the plastic valence rickashay mentions that is below the Fat Lip steel portion: from what I can tell, there may be some tabs on the steel OEM bumper that you may want to remove for cosmetics. Not a problem for someone interested in a weld it yourself bumper.

I love the goal of low weight of this design, and weight is probably the #1 reason I haven't installed an aftermarket front bumper and winch. Since I have the Fat Lip bumper, I suspect that economics/cosmetics would drive me (personally) to go in a different direction than the Rickashay bumper, either to the semi-low weight Trail Gear Rock Defense 1st Gen Taco tube bumper, or to a custom hidden winch mount option. BTW, if someone developed a hidden winch "weld it yourself" kit, or non-weld kit for my 2000, I would send them a check today!

2006 SR5: FJC Coilovers +2", Toytec Superflex, 255/85-16

Sold: 2017 TRD OffRoad Prem (this rig was too nice for me!)
MountainBiker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote