Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 12:50 AM

rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold

rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
I don't have photos, but as I own a fat lip '00 and my neighbor has a '97, I can offer some observations. First thing to point out is that the fat lip protrudes about 3" further forward from the grill compared to the '97. So removing the lower "plastic valence" is the least of the problem, as the 3" protrusion will be very noticeable with the Rickashay bumper from a cosmetic point of view.

Regarding the plastic valence rickashay mentions that is below the Fat Lip steel portion: from what I can tell, there may be some tabs on the steel OEM bumper that you may want to remove for cosmetics. Not a problem for someone interested in a weld it yourself bumper.

I love the goal of low weight of this design, and weight is probably the #1 reason I haven't installed an aftermarket front bumper and winch. Since I have the Fat Lip bumper, I suspect that economics/cosmetics would drive me (personally) to go in a different direction than the Rickashay bumper, either to the semi-low weight Trail Gear Rock Defense 1st Gen Taco tube bumper, or to a custom hidden winch mount option. BTW, if someone developed a hidden winch "weld it yourself" kit, or non-weld kit for my 2000, I would send them a check today!
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve actually had both versions of the bumpers in my hands right beside each other, but it was a couple years ago. I am pretty framiliar with the differences but would love to see a 99-02’ with the “fat lip” completely removed. It’s plastic and I know it can be removed to expose the tighter-to-the-body metal portion behind it.

From an aesthetic stand point, I too, love the “fat lip” bumper, which is why we are pulling styling from that variant for our full metal replacement option. I’ll try and get some teasers of where we are at with the design sooner than later, but I think all the “fat lip” lovers out there will at least appreciate the direction. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl4Rk View Post

I agree. I don’t want to thread hijack, so here’s a link to this thread: Winches under factory bumpers?
Love how clean that setup is ^. Low weight and factory looking - huge props! Only downside with the fully hidden options is they don’t do anything for you in approach angle and clearance. Probably their only drawback IMO other than the looks category (subjective). I kinda hope we fall right in the middle between a “beefy” aftermarket bumper and being fully stealth mode like the link above. Thanks for sharing the link for other curious about going that route.
rickashay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote