Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 09:09 AM

Spriggs53 is on a distinguished road

Spriggs53 is on a distinguished road
So, once again, we took out the drive shaft to put the Moog UJ’s in, and as we get started I noticed that one of the caps appeared to be loose. I gave it a flick and it moved. Uh oh… As we got started, some of the caps just fell out of their yokes. Yikes! We put the new UJ’s in and they fit much better, but there was still some play, so the FIL spot welded the caps to the yokes since I will be needing a new DS anyway. We got everything set up, put the DS back in and started the car up. The vibrations are still there, but tighter… if that makes sense. That same grinding sound is still there as well under the normal criteria. So wth? I get underneath to see if the new UJ are bad or maybe those caps are still loose. I give both ends of the DS a good tug and the flange side is rock solid, but the trans side had a clunk, only this time is was not from the UJ. The UJ was also rock solid, however, I noticed some play from the slip yoke on the output shaft… I don’t know what to think. We did a series of diagnostics and everything is normal and dandy. Trans shifts good, car drives good, differential is acting normally, no sounds. Drum brakes are acting fine. For all intents and purposes, the car is running perfectly. The only thing I can think of is that the slip yoke isn’t mating up with the output shaft well enough due to the lift kit. I still don’t see how only 2” could be causing all of this. I’m at a loss, does anyone have any input? There was about 1/16-1/8” of play on the slip yoke. I’m really hoping the output shaft isn’t damaged.
91’ Ford Festiva
Spriggs53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote