Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 11:22 AM

uansari1 is on a distinguished road

uansari1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farid View Post
So Can we airdown a fully loaded 4runner (Near 6300Lbs) with E load tire to 20 PSI in offroads ? what will happen if we do not obey that formula ?
As others have said, yes you can… I’ve aired down my stock metric tires (265/60/18 Dunlop AT25s) from the stock pressure of 29psi to 15psi on soft sand at the beach and 18psi on rocky trails…just have to keep your speed to something suitable for those pressures and it’s not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper238 View Post
This is all good to hear, though not exactly what the numbers imply. But very logical since the real concern/danger is if there was a failure at speed due to heat build up or instability.

I probably wouldn't run below 20psi off roading since even at 35psi my Duratracs seem compliant/soft.
Exactly right…the normal pressures you would run are just for paved roads where you’ll drive full speed. So you need an appropriate volume of air shoved into those tires to keep them from overheating. If you are running a higher load, you’ll need more air. I’ve aired down my KO2 LT D load tires from my street pressures of 35 psi all the way down to 9psi on soft sand…again, no problem as long as you’re driving at the right speed. The footprint on the KO2s at those pressures are close to what my stock tires were at 15psi more or less, but I didn’t drive more than 30km/h at those pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipter View Post
A little off topic but I just got installed Toyo AT3 P285 70 17. I wanted the LT but that's another story and I don't off road anyway.

They put 41 pounds air in each tire, with a max of 44. I lowered it to 36 and rides great. Toyo says I should use 26 pounds. To me, that sounds a little light. I haven't chalked.

With all this, is 36 lbs ok and can I run 20 lbs when I go off road since they recommended 26 for every day driving?

Thank you so much
26psi would be too low for LT tires for the road, but P metric tires at those pressures are fine…probably close to what your stock metric tires were running if I had to guess.

The tire pressure calculator that others have posted (Tire Pressure Calculator) seems to be pretty spot on. That’s how I first got to 35psi for my new tires. After driving around for an hour, including some high speeds, the pressures bump up to around 38.5-39 psi, which is perfectly within the “4 psi rule”.

Last edited by uansari1; 08-31-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Typo
uansari1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote