Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Disclaimer:: I overthink/ over research things that often leads me to not doing anything, ultimately.

I have a 2021 4Runner Trail Special Edition with stock rims, stock Dueller P265 70/R17 tires, stock suspension.

I bought it in January 2021.

I have zero issues with shakes, shimmies or wobbles at any speed.

My tire PSI is around 34.

These tires suck though. They weren't #good in the snow and they're ugly.

After much research I've settled in on Toyo Open Country ATIII P265 70/R17 SL. Factory size and load.

While doing my extensive (overkill) research I came across a bunch of horror stories regarding tires that won't balance properly and the nightmare than ensued.

I would like to navigate this as best as possible.

I'm probably buying the tires from TireRack online and having them shipped either to my house or to an installer.

Should I find an installer that "road force balances" tires right away?

Or should I have them just mount and standard balance and cross my fingers?

Is road force balance even necessary for my stock size tire in SL range?

I know I'm overthinking this. I just don't want to pay for standard mount and balance at one place to end up going back to a place that actually has a road force balancing machine and pay another $120 or whatever for that service. I also don't want to road force balance if its not necessary for my situation.

I don't want any shimmies, shakes or wobbles and I will not be able to "live with it".

Thanks for reading and I greatly appreciate any insight from those who've been down this road before.
First, you might read through this thread to get an idea how to do a good balance job on your new tires: Steering wheel shakes after installing new wheels and tires.

I agree that the factory mounted tires are really bad. I changed mine out right away for BFG KO2 tires in the stock size, but load range E (more plys) since I go off road quite a bit and wanted something tougher on sharp rocks. The KO2 tires are notorious for being hard to balance, but I have never had a problem with my tires balance; they ride really smooth. I bought my tires at the local Discount Tire store which did the balance.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote