Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 01:33 PM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like I got the rear interference issue sorted out, i think I had the upper links adjusted way too far out. Reduced it some and hit a few large speed bump without any contact yet, the next trail ride will be the real test.

Over the last 2 days i have been REALLY throwing around the idea of fitting 37's on the car (mainly because I get bored very quickly, but also because I believe with a bit of modification I shouldn't have any issues) but after long searching of various routes (including going with a larger FJ 6" lift, going through various long travel options, etc I decided all my parts are still too new and not even close to used to justify diving into a change that big.. I don't want to run 37's just to run them if they are going to limit up-travel, turning radius, etc... if I ever run them, it would more than likely need to be accompanied by some variation of a long travel set up, both front and rear... so I guess 37's it is for now..

With that said, I found areas of interference that I've been hearing on trails.. looks like my very bottom corner of the pinch weld was still making contact at 50% turn so I took out my handy grinder and hammer and went to town making more clearance on the inner fenders. I broke the hammer... so i'll have to finish up tomorrow lol. After I'm done with it, I believe that there will be 0 point of contact from the tire at any angle or height, time will tell.

I also believe that me installing the 1" spacer somehow got rid of the tire rubbing the frame rail issue.. I don't see any paint-rub off at all anymore from the last time I coated it.. I'll have to do some more flex testing and verifying next time I'm out on the trails.

Since I won't be doing any tire upgrading, I decided the next best thing would be to go ahead and tackle the FJ cruiser T-case swap. I have contacted the local junkyard which shows a 2011 FJ tcase with 70k miles for only $156 that I really want to pick up sometime in the next 2 weeks. After some delibirating I also decided not to worry about modified driveshafts just yet.. the front seems to be still possible to install with some work without having it shortened, and the rear I decided I'm just going to buy a 1" spacer for (only 70 bucks and my driveshafts are still in great shape, on down the road I would just have 2 new driveshafts built so I don't waste money on just labor to shorten the partially worn out factory shafts.

I am pretty confident it is a swap that I can do in a matter of a short weekend day.. Other than cutting out a hole in the tunnel and then cutting and rewelding the shifter to make work everything else is pretty much a direct bolt-on process... I'm sure I'm wrong on that, but thats what I'm planning on so far

I am also planning on fixing my steering rack rattle/clunk I have this week.. after doing a bit of searching I believe I found the source of my noise I've been hearing from the steering column.. looks like the first slip joint gets worn out and has a bit of wiggle in it, need to take it all apart and tack weld it together. hopefully that is the issue. Once that is done I'll be working on replacing the inner and outer tie rods since those are pretty much completely shot at this point..

Last edited by aemravan; 09-13-2021 at 01:47 PM.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote