Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 02:18 PM

L4Time will become famous soon enough

L4Time will become famous soon enough
Part 2/3

Privacy
Finding a simple way to temporarily “black-out” the windows in the sleeping area was a challenge. For the side windows, I settled on using those EVS foam interlocking exercise mats and cutting them to fit snugly in the window frames. The result works beautifully- not only for privacy and keeping it dark, but also for thermal and sound insulation.

However this aspect took me the most time of the whole project. My advice is to find someone in your life who knows how to trace a pattern from the window shapes and transfer it to the foam mats. I can’t sew, upholster or make sails, so this was a challenge. The best tool I found was a rotary razor knife used to cut fabric or paper for scrap-booking. At least the windows are bilaterally symmetrical, so if you get one to fit nicely, you can just trace it out for the other side.

Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3395-jpg
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3400-jpg
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3402-jpg

For the back window, I decided not to use the EVS foam but opted for corrugated white plastic signage material. This can be popped into the window frame in three segments. It provides some insulation, but also makes it seem less cave-like inside. It does get bright in the morning, though, so be conscious of where the sun will rise when you park.
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3408-jpg