Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 02:31 PM

L4Time will become famous soon enough

L4Time will become famous soon enough
Part 3/3

Ventilation and Exterior Components
I learned here from other people’s experiences that good ventilation is extremely important. My approach used simple off-the-shelf products that worked great. The rear door windows can be opened 3-4 inches under the screening, but the foam window inserts can tip back to allow airflow while maintaining privacy.
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3394-jpg
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3401-jpg

I also found a 40” x 26” magnetic sunroof screen that is a smidge too small but still usable. The small camping fan works wonders.
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-img_3403-jpg

For a bit of added security, I added three battery powered motion sensing lights on the sides and rear. They attach magnetically and work great to illuminate the area around the truck. (If I’m ever locked inside at night and things look sketchy outside, I can climb into the driver seat from inside and bug out.)
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-photo-sep-14-4-04-05-pm-jpg
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-photo-sep-12-8-06-29-pm-jpg

For a some exterior coverage from rain and sun, I used a 6’ x 8’ tarp bungied to the opposite roof rail and supported by six more 2’ x ½” PVC sections with couplers and hose barbs on top. (I plan to replace this with a white 6’ x 10’ or 12’ for more covered outside space and to keep the sun off the roof.) The windshield cover can keep some heat out, if need be, but I haven’t used it much.
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-photo-sep-14-3-50-17-pm-jpg
Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-photo-sep-13-6-23-01-pm-jpg

Below is my parts list, so far. (Items with a yellow “0” in the Usage column were things I bought, but ended up not using.) As you can see, I spent quite a bit prototyping, and I had to reacquire most of my camping gear, but overall this has turned out to be an inexpensive way to do some safe and comfortable weekend solo camping in my daily driver.

Thanks for reading all of this. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Convert your 4Runner to a comfy solo camper for about 0-capture-gif

Last edited by L4Time; 09-17-2021 at 02:35 PM.
L4Time is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote