Old 09-28-2021, 02:42 AM

5thGenHunter is on a distinguished road

5thGenHunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermn View Post
This graph is perfect thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnow View Post
Do it!!! Then take it to Target, crank the wheel at full lock out and jump curbs!!!
Attention starved are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda250xtitan View Post
yes it works on stock height with the trail/trd off road wheels. youll need to remove the front mudflaps.
Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 91 View Post
So the math is actually really easy to do. Let's take a look!

285/70R17 means the tread is 285mm wide (more on that in a second), the "aspect ratio" is 70 (the sidewall is 70% the tire width), and the wheel size is 17".

So we want to know how wide the tire actually is? That one is easy breezy. Just remember, 25.4 is your friend. Soooo... divide 285mm by 25.4 to get 11.22". Awesome, BUT not all tires are equal. The actual width will vary by tire manufacture, tire type, tire model, tire... you get the idea. There isn't any real standard around this, unfortunately.

So now we want to know how tall the tire is, and while slightly more complicated, it's still super easy. We'll do this in inches to make it easier. Ready?

Our aspect ratio is 70, which means we multiple our 11.22" by .7 to get the sidewall height. That equates to 7.85". Add that to your wheel size of 17" to get 24.85" and... hold on, something is wrong here. Oh! We forgot there are two sections of sidewall that contribute to the overall height. Add another 7.85" to the measurement, and viola! 32.7" is the height of your tire.

Remember, this is approximate because tires really do vary quite a decent amount. One tire might fit fine, another might rub. But hopefully this helped you understand it all a bit better.

In all honesty I wrote this in a fit of boredom, and I like this sort of thing anyway.
Go talk to someone else like a 6th grader. If you had read my post, you would clearly see that I already had stated I was looking at buying a true 32.7 inch tire. The tire height was never a question as I had already looked into that and landed on a tire that was, again, a true 32.7. If that was too difficult for you to comprehend, then I can't help you there and suggest you go back to grade school. I may be new to the 4Runner modding world, but I am not new to turning wrenches. I've built heads/cam Vette's, Vipers, a 1000+HP Vette, and just sold my twin turbo Viper.

Go talk down to someone else.
5thGenHunter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote