Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 07:56 AM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
Another quick update on the TacoRunner:

-I've been fighting an intermittent check engine light, rough idle here and there, and a coming/going 02 sensor code. My current fix was to splice the upstream and downstream bank 1 sensor into the bank 2 sensors (or vice versa..can't remember) which resulted in me being able to get rid of the light.

My initial thought was that I have a bad O2 sensor (thought I didn't swap them places to verify if the problem follows) or possibly the converters going bad, but thinking back to developing a rough idle I am not so sure.. Being that I'm at almost 150k miles I decided it was time to give the rig a little TLC to see if I can get rid of the issue for when I need to take a long drive and not have to worry about throwing codes 200 miles from home.

My plan is to start with all 4 02 Sensors, replace all 8 ignition coils as well as replacing the plugs. I'll see where that gets me. I also plan on running some good injector cleaner through the system as well and then evaluate where I stand. I should also probably take a look the vacuum hoses all around since the last time I developed a rough idle was after a drive when the engine was able to get to operating temp and it went away on the next cold start.

If the above doesn't resolve the issue hopefully I am throwing an engine code that would point me in the right direction. I figured the worst case next step should only be the cats or injectors.. (I would much rather replace the injectors I believe... lol).

On the non-standard repair side, after 2 days of looking and thinking I went ahead and ordered a top spin pre filter for a snorkel... I've been thinking about doing a snorkel for a long, long time and finally decided I am going to take on the project. First step was to locate a local member who was willing to trade a completely stock air box for my volant system I have (it is FAR from water tight and not worth the hassle of sealing it up) which I was able to do. The next step will be to get some foam and shape up a few different variations of what I want this thing to look like. Running the wide fiberglass fenders gives a lot of freedom in how to run this thing and I plan on making it fairly minimalistic on the side. I don't want (or need) it spanning the entire length of the fender since I have plenty room inside to hide the piping.

My plan is to have a 6"x6" -ish semi-round shape coming out on the rear side of the fender and making its way up the A pillar. This will be done in a fiberglass base and top half, and then fully fused together in a layer of honeycomb carbonfiber that I've had sitting at the house for a long time.

A typical snorkel obviously mounts to the fender, but in order to simply things and also make them more aesthetic, I plan to hard mount the snorkel to the inner fender apron under the fender and just cut out the fender to surround the snorkel. This would give me the ability to remove the fender without having to remove the snorkel down the road.

projects upon projects.... now just fingers crossed that my wife doesn't kick me out to go live in this thing since I spend so much time on it
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote