Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:32 AM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
forgot to mention something regarding the shakedown yesterday. The last couple of trips out I would hear this intermittent clicking/clunking noise, almost like suspension decompressing under stress with low lubrication, didn't sound like a rotating assembly sound. Well, while playing around with the 2wd option (2lo could be handy if you ever lose front driveline for some reason and still need to get off the trail) I noticed a pattern... every time I would go into 2wd vs 2wd and drive the same section of the trail the sound wouldn't be there.

I am suspecting that my front driveshaft is the culprit (at first I thought cv axles, but they are RCV axles and I only had a partial rip in the boot that I repaired and filled back up with grease so i HIGHLY doubt that is the issue (not to mention I can whip U turns under good power with 0 sound emitting from either CV). When I was installing the front drive shaft back I noticed a little resistance spot in one direction on the U joint. Didn't think much of it until I got on the trail yesterday and now I am fairly convinced I have a failing driveshaft in the front. So i'm looking at options of having one built instead of rebuilding this one but haven't decided yet..

edit* I just realized there's no reason to have a new front shaft built since it fits perfectly fine and doesn't have any slip yoke movement during articulation like the rear shaft.. I have 2 Moog 387 U-joints on order with amazon and going to do a quick repair sometime this week when they show up.. I think (hopefully) I should be able to have the shaft pulled and u joints replaced in 2-3 hours tops.. I'll probably take off the front drive shaft tomorrow and get it ready for disassembly- oh how I am loving the 2wd drive option right now

Last edited by aemravan; 10-04-2021 at 08:23 AM.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote