Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 12:58 AM

AlpinUltra is on a distinguished road

AlpinUltra is on a distinguished road
Suspension Suggestions Please!

Hi All,

I bought my truck with a Toytec/Bilstein 5100 lift kit (3" I think) and Goodyear 285/70R17 tires. I like the look but functionally this suspension is not working for me. I have had a look around and there appears to be a dizzying array of choices, most of them appear to be aimed at the high clearance crowd which I am not.

What I don't like
> The suspension feels overly stiff, offroad I have to crawl over everything that isn't a gravel road. Yeah okay slow down, I know. The problems come when there is a smooth gravel road then an unexpected obstacle and it isn't absorbed because I am going smooth gravel road speeds.
> I don't like how high the center of gravity is
> I don't like the diff drop concept and want to run less suspension lift so I don't need it

What I would like
The direction I would like to go with this truck is obese rally car, with an ability to clear most mud puddles and stones on rough, unmaintained fire and jeep trails. I want this to be a trail runner, not a rock crawler. I really want something that will stroke and absorb high speed bumps rather than stiffening up. A lot of the driving I do is 30-50mph and it absolutely sucks to see a rough patch and try to haul it down to 5mph in time so I don't beat up my truck.
I also would like to lower the truck a bit, maybe ending up somewhere between 1-2" higher over stock.

Down the road I plan on doing long travel. So for right now I want an interm affordable solution and when I do long travel that is when I want to spend my dollars.

So what's out there? I appreciate any options you guys can throw at me!
AlpinUltra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote