Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 12:10 AM
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Id mirror most of the comments.

Shocks would be the first place I'd look.

Then check alignment. There's two things that happen infrequently but common enough - first is to just hit hard enough to move the alignment tabs. Those are worth marking or taking a photo of each one to compare later. The other possibility is a bent front spindle. Not common, but can happen. It'll mess with alignment.

Start by just visual check on flat surface - do the front tires visually match the rear in camber? You can also measure with your phone or a level and any straight edge across the wheel top to bottom. Calibrate or "zero" against the rear wheel then compare to the front on flat surface. They should be within 1* of each other with the wheels pointed forward.

Next use a tape measure to check rough toe in. If it's within 1/8" front and rear of the front tires - it probably hasn't moved. If its way out, you know where to investigate.

Shocks are harder to tell which corner is bad. Especially if they're not leaking.

Sway bar in my experience having them on and off is not like "maybe something's wrong" it's like "holy F something is wrong". But a missing or damaged bushing might do it.

Another place to look is the passenger front upper control arm bolt that holds the bushings in place. The long one. Mine has come loose a couple times. And I know another FJ cruiser that has had the same thing. So now I loctite it. Just the nature of the thread direction and the torque on it. But that's only really an issue if you've had them off before. Usually that presents as a slight clunk when braking. But worth a double check if your out of ideas.

One last thought is maybe bent lower rear control arms. I bent one of mine before I gusseted them. In the rocks they don't last very long. Nothing lasts long in the rocks. I've also bent the fixed side rear KDSS shaft by dropping on a rock.

Good luck sorting it out!

Last edited by Jetboy; 10-14-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote