Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 03:38 PM

Turfboy will become famous soon enough

Turfboy will become famous soon enough
URD Supercharger 5th gen

URD Supercharger Adventure

The reason for me to install a supercharger is to improve towing experience when towing at rated capacity. The current engine performs admirably for daily driving delivering approximately 20 mpg in the city. I drive fairly conservatively and 85% of my driving is in the city, 10% off road and 5% highway. The decision to upgrade the engine rather than purchase a tow vehicle is driven in large part by the size of my garage. The 4runner is the biggest vehicle I can fit in a brick garage built in the 1940s. Please keep in mind the following are my opinions based in part from data on the internet. Accuracy is subjective and suspect but hey what opinion is not?

Roots vs Twin Screw:

URD/Whipple is a Twin Screw Design: The main factor choosing this design is the lower parasitic draw in driving the screw and the lower heat gain. Heat gain leads to detonation/knock and detonation is a VERY bad thing. Most all decisions around this build are done to avoid DETONATION. There is little/no instruction available regarding the URD install on youtube or writeups.

Magnison (TRD) is a Roots Design: The flow of air is routed around the outside of the compressor body with a physical contact between the lobe and the sidewall. This physical contact creates additional heat in conjunction with the heat generated through compression. The Magnison product is a very polished install with lots of youtube and writeups.

Both Superchargers use an Air to Water intercooler. Both use a pump to circulate coolant through a radiator mounted in front of the engine. Both Superchargers use a self-contained oil reservoir for lubrication. Both superchargers require the removal of the Crankshaft Pulley Bolt. Both require premium fuel to reduce the chance of DETONATION.

Detonation:
I define detonation as the fuel igniting when I do not want it to. This can be caused by excessive heat, a fuel/air mixture that is too lean, engine timing that is incorrect, etc. From my reading I believe the engine ECU/CPU uses timing and fuel enrichment (fuel map) to control knock/detonation. I chose the URD design because it contained a seventh injector mounted on the supercharger, an aftermarket fuel pump to deliver additional fuel if needed, and a piggyback ECU to monitor the supercharger. If there appears to be additional cooling needed I will use a water/methane injector system to control the issue.

The adventure begins

Ordering:
I had to put my name on a waiting list and wait about 6 months before the URD unit was in stock. I purchased it as soon as it became available. The stock was sold out in one day. Delivery took about six days once the kit was assembled by URD. URD needed a couple of weeks to assemble the kit.

-To be continued-