Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 01:59 PM

joshik will become famous soon enough

joshik will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
3rd gens from the factory have inboard mounted shocks, so it makes sense there are aftermarket shock hoops for those trucks.

Anything is possible with a welder and some steel. The question is what problem is it trying to solve.

The only improvements I see from a raised shock mount is more uptravel at the sacrifice of less downtravel, or being able to fit a longer travel shock to get more downtravel and/or uptravel.

You will probably need to swap from a oem-style stem mount shock to a traditional eyelet mounted shock.
Cool. I was gonna reach out to someone I know that fabs a lot of hotrods and now jeeps.

The reason I want to do it is because I went with the long travel Dobinsons rear and don't like that I need to extend the bump stops by 2". I get why I need to and while I am not "losing" travel, I did lose up travel to gain down travel. I hit my bump stops (duros) often even while street driving when going over mildly aggressive dips even with the rear shocks LSC topped off.

Also, I don't think I'm taking advantage of the full down travel abilities of the LT shock anyways. When I was installing them, I had my 4r on stands and the rear axle at full droop and had my old Bilstein 5160s on. I took the billys off and it's not like the axle drooped any more... so the billys were not limiting my down travel but probably my OEM control arms. Also, when installing the LT shocks, it was a BIG PITA to have to compress the shock to get it in so I'm fairly confident that I'm not taking advantage of the full downtravel abilities of the shock.

So by relocating the upper mount up by about 2", that should alleviate the need for extended bump stops, provide more up travel and take advantage more of the shock's stroke capabilities.

Is my thinking sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextmullis View Post
Disregard the fact that my shock lost all its oil but this is the best photo I have of my relocation at this time.

This is exactly what I was thinking... but I'd have to preserve the way the OEM mounts because I already have a shock. I totally think it could be done! Thx!

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote