Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 02:40 PM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
I've been looking at doing the same thing for a couple years now. You've probably seen that so forgive me if you've already read this.

Like you mentioned the rear upper link is right above a notch in the fuel tank. Without removing this link you wont be able to raise the tank, or at least not the back half of the tank. I believe you will need to swap to a 3 link rear to do it right. Good news is you can do this simply by deleting the passenger side upper link and beefing up the driver's side upper link and mounts. I think this will technically have the same 'geometry' as factory, with slightly more load on the panhard to keep the axle centered, and double the load on the single upper link.

At this point you will need a body lift and some fabrication to lift the tank. You could simply swap to the FJ tank but its from my measurements actually 3/4" deeper than the 4R's, it's only higher clearance on the front half where you save 1.5" because its angled on the bottom, and the strap spacing is slightly different. They are fairly cheap used on Ebay though. Would love to see a side by side pic on the ground showing the actual dimensions instead of me measuring under my brother's truck.
That is a really good point man... I completely disregarded the fact that the upper mount is sitting right there.. I just figured because I had a 1.5" body lift that I could raise the tank the same relative amount.

A 3-link is actually something I have been entertaining doing.. I just feel like if I am going to go through that effort I may as well go longer arms and relocate both the upper and lower mounts at that point and really get the rear articulating a significant amount more. But then it gets me into a deeper rabbit hole with springs and shocks and driveshaft, ect lol. Maybe i'll just see about fabricating a decent gas tank skid and letting it be for now .. a smaller tank (or even a dual tank setup made up of 2 smaller tanks) could be cool since I have a ton of space where the factory spare went but I just don't think the amount of work is worth it vs how much wheeling this thing actually gets.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote