Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 08:31 AM

mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold

mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold mynameistory is a splendid one to behold
If you're lucky, you might be able to use the high-beam fuse in the engine bay as a relay trigger. With an add-a-fuse, it can be implemented with no wiring hacks. Then just add the 9005 (or upgraded 9011) bulbs on a +12V harness connected to the relay (which taps straight from the battery). You will lose the DRL function this way though, as it will no longer be a series connection (6V to each bulb when DRL activated) hooked up to factory wiring.

I did something similar with my driving light setup - if you're interested, a light bar could be Incorporated the same way so that you can have it on anytime, or on with the high beam toggle.

Using this dual-throw switch from anytimebackupcamera.com, I wired the relay trigger so that HIGH activates with the high beam toggle, and LOW turns on anytime the key is in. The high beam fuse tap (along with the trigger wire to relay) have to pass through the firewall. The accessory +12V is on a fuse tap on the interior fuse box (cigarette charger circuit).

This way I can turn on the driving lights anytime, like in an off road scenario, when I switch LOW. When I switch HIGH, the lights only turn on with the high beam toggle. This has the added benefit of being street legal (fogs automatically turn off like factory etc), as well as easy to activate without any new muscle memory. You simply dip the lights like normal when there's oncoming traffic, instead of fumbling around for the right switch and blinding them.

More discussion about various things like the dash illumination circuit etc are here: The SAE J581 Aux High Beam Thread | Page 24 | Tacoma World

- 2016 4Runner - WeatherTech Floor Liners - Key Fob Window Roll-down Mod - 35 PSI Tire Pressure - Gum Holder Delete - iOttie Phone Holder - RainX Windshield Mod - Stock Windshield Wipers (for now) - Radio Stations are 105.9, 106.7, 95.5, and 93.1 - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Really want a Gobi Ladder but I guess I'll just stand on the Tire because it's free and does the same thing - Some Old Coleman Ice Chest - A Gas Can I Found -
mynameistory is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote