Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 04:24 PM

Nalcyon will become famous soon enough

Nalcyon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tanker View Post
I'm happy with my ORP, but if I were to do it again I'd get an SR5 and put the difference into front and back air lockers. I don't need all these options just to figure out how to get through a stretch of trail. 4Lo, two foot driving, and lockers would get it done without needing a reference card with a flow chart.

I'm not certain that MTS only changes throttle sensitivity. I think it tunes A-Trac a little more wheel spin for mud where you don't want the wheels to stop at the first loss of traction. Toyota's website describes it as "With five modes to choose from, this system helps regulate wheelspin by automatically adjusting the engine throttle and traction control."
I agree. You can get the vehicle in a good off camber situation to see this for yourself but there is definitely a difference between mud/sand and rock as far as how aggressively, (quickly), ABS works to turn the wheel on the ground.

To clarify something that was said earlier it's not that I don't believe MTS makes any difference, its just that it is not as useful as the literature makes it seem. A single button for ATRAC is sufficient IMO. As has been said the main benefit for me of MTS is the ability to turn on mud sand in 4hi and the rock position is a little more aggresive than ATRAC in my experience. In the offroading I've done its hard to imagine when I would want loose rock or mogul as I would just want maximum traction in 4lo.

Don't get too caught up in the weeds on this stuff, play with it but know that at the end of the day ATRAC + locker trumps everything but a dual locked vehicle, (suspension travel and tires being equal). Also don't think that ATRAC is a magic button, Landrover has been doing this since the discovery II(?) and Jeep was doing it in at least 2007, and now this brake lock technology is almost ubiquitous in the offroad world.
Nalcyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote