View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 01:00 AM

bob3dsf will become famous soon enough

bob3dsf will become famous soon enough
5k for a remanned tranny?? Is that including install at the dealer? I just asked my parts guy about that. I just wanted some background info. I'm always thinking my rig will fall to pieces on me tomorrow.... I don't know why. It's running fine and it's a Toyota... Anyway. It would be a little over 3k, and then there's a 1k core refund. So about 2k labor at dealer rates, doesn't seem way out in left field, but others may know better than me.

Timmy the toolman (he's a t4r regular and a 3rd gen dude) recently did a tranny swap on an FJC. Virtually the same transmission as ours. It's a very doable job, just a little time consuming and you need to be organized. A remanufactured transmission provides much more piece of mind vs an unknown off an LKQ lot. Not that I'm against pulling parts. that kind of job would need , I think, a thorough teardown of the tranny before installing it. Otherwise you risk some other failure and have to all that work twice.

But, even if you have the dealer do it for 5k. That seems decent. It ought to give you some kind of warranty on their work and the tranny. With the costs of new these days (50k+ with "market pricing"... Blah blah) and the overall reliability of 4runners, I would do the tranny swap without a second thought. You'll pay that in interest easy over 6+ years, or however long car loans are now. Even buying new to you, used are commanding top dollar and would likely need a loan. IDK, I guess I view the economics of it differently. I can't stand car loans.

But after saying all that. Have you gotten a second opinion? Does it really need a new transmission? Dealers aren't known to ever upsell.... ��

Last edited by bob3dsf; 01-22-2022 at 01:02 AM.
bob3dsf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote