Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 03:39 AM

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about

RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about RAD4Runner has a spectacular aura about
Storage: Cubby On Steroids

Cubby On Steroids
Restoration is fine, but I prefer continuous improvement to suit my needs. Earlier, I wanted to make a cubby similar to the SR5. Instead, I decided to use pretty much the entire the body cavity as a "Cubby on Steroids".

"SOFT CUBBY" / POUCH IN PASSENGER-SIDE BODY CAVITY FOR FREQUENTLY-USED ITEMS. There is more room for less-frequently used items like my spare fuel-pump, belts, hoses, etc., accessed through small opening below it.

I'M LEAVING DRIVER-SIDE CAVITY OPEN FOR BIGGER ITEMS LIKE PAPER TOWELS, TP, DRY GOODS, CANNED FOOD, ETC. There is also little bit of room behind the rear window control relay

TEMPLATE OUT OF CARDBOARD. MOUNTING SCREW HOLES ARE USED AS REFERENCE. Previously, I replaced much-hated hidden fasteners with nylon expansion nuts and panel trim screws; No more brittle plastic fasteners nor guess-work needed to remove panel.

REACHING BEHIND TO MARK OPENINGS ON TEMPLATE

MARKING THE VINYL WRAP AND THE BASE BOARD

SLITTING VINYL WRAP TO CONFORM TO CURVES OF OPENINGS. Need to slit only so far so as not to show on final work.

I HELD BACK THE VINYL WRAP WITH TAPE AND MADE CUT-OUT USING BARE HACKSAW BLADE

DRY-FIT. Opening on left is for my USB, Andersen Powepole (for Fridge) and Cigarette Lighter Socket outlets and Volt-meter- all from my "house" battery (Dual-battery system)

WRAPPING THE LIPS OF OPENINGS. I USED LOCTITE SPRAY ADHESIVE

Note the Ensoite that I added to inner surface of body panels for additional sound-insulation. To compensate for now bigger openings, the outer body panels have 3/8 to 1/2 inch foam behind them. Nothing bought - I re-purposed foam used for shipping delicate electronics equipment.

INSTALLED WITH SEAT BACK UP

INSTALED WITH SEATBACK DOWN.
USB, Anderson Powerpole and cigarette lighter socket poweredby "house battery" in opening near seatbelt. Fuse block for my "house" battery is behind opening between the cubby and the roll bar. Still haven't had a chance to make a cover. Anyway everything there is recessed and out of the way. Someday I might replace the "soft cubby" with black vinyl for better looks.
Toyota components are bullet-proof. Issues often arise from poor wiring, assembly and/or maintenance. Suspect those first.
Next only to our senses, the multi-meter is the most important electrical diagnostic tool. Spend $6 at Harbor Freight or $$$ blindly replacing parts.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-07-2022 at 08:20 PM.
RAD4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote