Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 01:39 AM

2012sr5 will become famous soon enough 2012sr5 will become famous soon enough

2012sr5 will become famous soon enough 2012sr5 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
I don't think there were many questions about reliability - mostly because the 5th gen was mostly just a reskin of the 4th gen. The only meaningful changes with respect to the rolling chassis and drive train were the dual VVTI engine change and the rear axle was upsized slightly. Otherwise just cosmetics.

My issue with the 2022 tundra is less that it has some turbo issues, but more that Toyota did not design it for ground level serviceability. That's a significant change in the entire vehicle design philosophy. No repairs I'm aware of on the 2nd gen Tundra - or the 4runner - require cab to come off. It appears that cab-off is a designed part of service now. That means no more DIY repairs for anything you can't easily access on top. That's a big deal for me.

The second issue I have is that Toyota is doing a remarkably poor job of handling the teething issues. In 2007 when the 5.7 had some cam shafts seize and break (according to toyota it was bout 20 total engines), toyota was on top of it. Toyota issued press releases that explained the issue and what was going on. It was a no-question full engine swap.

One case I know of locally - owner bought new tundra 5.7. Cam broke on a road trip in BFE. Toyota had local dealer go get him and his trailer. Engine swap takes a bit to get parts and do the work. So Toyota setup a free temporary lease on another new one so the guy could get on with his trip. Moved his stuff to the new truck and off he went. After the new engine was installed, Toyota shipped the truck to him and took the leased truck back. Toyota also extended the warranty, paid for 2 months of the car payment, and apparently tossed in a TRD Exhaust to compensate for the hassle. <- That is how you handle initial issues well. Toyota corporate is basically ghosting owners with the turbo issues from what I can tell. We'll get it fixed when we get it fixed. Go home. We'll probably call you in a month or two.
I traded my 4Runner in on a ‘21 Tundra, the last year of the 2nd gens. Absolutely love it. And, until the 3rd gen was released, I loved the Tundra forum. Now it is a dumpster fire. Ok, maybe it’s not that bad, but there are several threads to avoid. Lots of hate for the 3rd gen. Mostly because of the looks, but also because of exactly what you said: the commitment to ease of self-maintenance appears to be completely gone. I bought my truck because it was a 14-year-old brand new truck. I have over 23,000 miles on it already and no complaints.

The 3rd gen is a more complicated vehicle by an order of magnitude or two. One guy on the Tundra forum says he got his passenger side turbo replaced without taking the entire cab off. But most of them seem to have the cabs taken off first thing. Yikes. I’d hate to have a brand new truck that has had the cab, entire front end, and one of the turbos taken apart and put back together at the dealership before I even put 500 miles on it. And I would like to think the apparent nose dive in Toyota customer care is supply chain driven. But I guess time will tell.
2012sr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote