Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 05:13 PM

audiness will become famous soon enough

audiness will become famous soon enough
2000 Limited 4x4 Manual Transmission Conversion

This thread is to document my 2000 Limited 4X4 e-locker Automatic to manual conversion. I will be swapping a manual transmission from a 1999 SR5 4x4. I hope to keep the Limited digital climate control and limited rear e-locker working with this build.

Background: I have had this 4Runner for 10 years now. I bought it with 100k miles and it has about 160k miles now. It is not my daily driver, this is a weekend / adventure rig.

The story: I have daydreamed about doing this swap for a long time. i Know the only way to do this job 100% is to have a donor truck. I also know there are some nuances in the 99/00 model years, so my donor truck needed to be a 1999 or 2000 4x4. I started looking for a donor truck, and after about 6 months of looking, i finally found a low mile rust-free one for a somewhat reasonable price.

The Plan: I bought a wrecked 1999 SR5 from Copart for $1900. Shipping from TX to SC and ripoff storage fees from Copart cost most nearly $1000. So now with taxes, I am over $3k, and that doesn't included all the parts I will need. I actually drove the donor truck about 5 miles from where i picked it up to my house. other than broken glass flying all over the place, it drove fine. Once I got it home and had a bit of fun with it, I pulled the engine from the donor truck (which still ran perfectly) engine wiring harness, ECU, transmission, pedals, lines, and all the interior bits that I needed to do the swap.

I sold off some parts including the engine, wheels, and other misc from the donor truck and made back almost $1000. The donor truck was then sent to the scrapyard.

Over the past few months, I began to acquire all the new OEM parts i would need: New OEM Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure plate, slave cylinder, lots of gaskets, flywheel bolts, etc. I only use 100% Toyota OEM parts. Do it right, do it once. finally ready to begin!

I plan to use the SR5 transfer case and give up on the pushbutton selectable transfer case that's on my 2000 Limited. I think the more manual the better.
Attached Images
2000 Limited 4x4 Manual Transmission Conversion-img_9297-jpg  2000 Limited 4x4 Manual Transmission Conversion-img_9231-jpg  2000 Limited 4x4 Manual Transmission Conversion-img_9250-jpg  2000 Limited 4x4 Manual Transmission Conversion-unnamed-jpg 

Last edited by audiness; 04-29-2022 at 10:36 AM.
audiness is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote