Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 11:46 AM

downshift is on a distinguished road

downshift is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 View Post
Here’s my take.

My first car was a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it had the NV249 transfer case (AWD - N - 4LO). It was rare for that option to be combined with the 4.0 I6, as they typically came with a NV242 also known as SelecTrac (2WD - 4PT - 4FT - N - 4LO). Yeah it gave you more options but it was a “lower” or “standard” option associated with Wranglers instead of more expensive Grand Cherokees.

Also Range Rovers, which I’ve owned as well, they are also capable off road vehicles don’t have 2WD as an option in any drive mode. You can select high and low range, and terrain programs in the newer models.

I’ve never seen anyone ask for 2WD or wish they had 2WD in either of these models. In my mind it leaves one possibility. The owners want to make a spectacle of themselves actually announcing the need to put it in 4 wheel and pull the lever. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] it’s like the truckers who want to drive with three sticks because a 13 speed ain’t enough!

If I got a Pro, the first thing I’d want is to do an AWD conversion, get real leather seats from a limited, dual zone climate swap, all of which is very labor intensive and impractical. Instead I just bought my limited… if I WANTED to look like a Pro, it’s only a roof rack, grille, and lift. First two parts are a couple hundred $$$ each and the lift would get rid of X-REAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've thought about doing an AWD conversion on my TRD Off-Road. On the surface, it would seem to be straight forward. Swap out the transfer case with one from a Limited. But I could easily be wrong, very wrong.

I've looked into this and don't see that anyone has ever done it. I don't want to be the first. Have you heard otherwise? I'd be interested if this were a well known and relatively common conversion, where enough people have done it that they know what to look for, the pitfalls, what parts you need, wiring harnesses, etc.
downshift is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote