Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-28-2022, 04:38 PM

Charles Bronson has a spectacular aura about Charles Bronson has a spectacular aura about

Charles Bronson has a spectacular aura about Charles Bronson has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTheJoules View Post
I understand what you mean, I was just making the point that it's relative to the person. My other vehicle is much, much louder in every instance: highway, slow cruising, etc. So the TRD exhaust on the Pro is pretty damn quiet compared to vehicles I've both driven and ridden in. Yeah, I live in one of the flattest parts of TX, but I've traveled to plenty of states that have topography(CO, UT, NM, AZ), and I've also had my 4R at wide open throttle plenty of times to know how loud it is under max load. To me, it's just not that bad.
I hear ya. I too am a fan of exhausts on some cars. My personnel ride, a 2016 BMW M235, has a BMW-made performance muffler and downpipe with a much smaller cat. The car is much louder than stock and sounds glorious all rpms and load, but it doesn't drone at all. Also, V8s like your Stang have soothing sound thanks to the cylinder count and firing order. V6s? Not so much. I loved the catback and y-pipe I had on my 94 Z28 and the catback and shorty header setup my buddy had on his 90 LX 5.0 notchback. Yeah, it droned, but the drone was pleasant.

I don't find the TRD exhaust to be bad above 2500rpms or full throttle. It's that 1900-2300rpm drone on grades that's such a killer.

When we driving through the foothills of northern Arkansas last year and had the TRD exhaust on, I kept it in 4th and it was so much better, but mpgs suffered a bit. I could also see how it could be tolerable on a 4Runner with deeper gears.

It is shocking to me that Toyota approved this exhaust for standard equipment. The sound and drone reminds me of a GM 3800 series V6 with an exhaust. That's not a good thing. LOL

At least people have factory option choice if they want to increase the sound of their 5th gen 4Runner.

Last edited by Charles Bronson; 03-29-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Charles Bronson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote